As it’s known to all computer users that the Windows registry is a hierarchical database that keeps a record of every task performed on your system like opening a document, installing a program, visiting a website, to name a few. However, Windows never remove any registry entries even if you uninstall a program from your system.
As a result, the registry gets clogged with outdated entries, which can slow down your computer speed and performance. Therefore, it’s vital to clean Windows registry to speed up computer.
Cleaning your registry not only improves your system performance, but also decreases boot time and frees up disk space. There’re two ways to clean up registry on a computer – using Windows Registry Editor and using a registry cleaner software. Let’s discuss them one by one:
1. Using Windows Registry Editor
- Press Windows Key + R keyboard shortcut to launch the Run box
- Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Run box and pressing the Enter key
- Click on the File menu and select the Export option to create a backup of your current registry
- Under the Export Range panel, select All
- Choose the destination for the file to save
- Give .reg file a name and click on the Save button
- Once you create a registry backup, navigate to the left side of the Registry Editor window
- Click on the Plus icon next to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section to expand it
- Next, expand the Software key
- Identify and click to highlight the entry which you’ve already removed or uninstalled
- Then, right-click on it and select the Delete option
- Now, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key to navigate through Software key
- Identify the key of non-existing application and right-click to Delete it
- Once done, close the Registry Editor window
Note: In case anything goes wrong during the registry cleanup, you can restore the registry backup by accessing the Import option from the File menu.
2. Using Registry Cleaning Software
If you found the above method quite tricky, opt for a registry cleaning program for Windows. There’re several registry cleaners available such as Registry Mechanic, Regcleaner, and Registry Healer. You can choose the one as per your preferences. These programs scan the registry and remove errors like missing references to files. As soon as the scanning process complete, you’ll see a list of registry entries that are safe and not safe to delete. Before you delete any registry entries, it’s recommended to create a backup copy and save any important data to an external hard disk.